Nov 19, 2017
Professor Fromberg, Graduate Program Director, (516) 463-5779, Doris.P.Fromberg@hofstra.edu
The Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education is part of the department of curriculum and teaching. This integrated program is designed for teachers who hold the initial certificate to teach early childhood education or childhood education* and wish to prepare for the New York state professional certificate to teach early childhood (Birth-Grade 2).
New York state initial certificate to teach early childhood or childhood education.
- A minimum GPA of 2.75 in each of two categories:
- Overall undergraduate course work;
- Course work in the liberal arts and sciences.
- Two letters of reference addressing the applicant’s success in the teaching profession and the capacity to undertake graduate study.
- A written personal statement of professional intent and rationale.
- An interview with the Program Director.
The department understands that any single criterion may not reliably predict a student’s potential for success in the program. Students may consider applying even if they fail to meet one of the criteria but feel that other aspects of their experience might compensate.
Program Requirements - Semester Hours: 35
Students must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in order to remain
in the program. Grades of D or lower will not be counted toward the graduate degree
but will be included in determining the grade point average.
Foundations of Education Elective - Semester Hours: 3
Content-Pedagogy Linked Course Work Electives - Semester Hours: 12
Content-Pedagogy linked course work electives, including a minimum of 3 s.h.
in each of the following three areas for a total of 12 s.h. with advisement:
- ISI 201 Cultural Diversity and Global Perspectives (New College), 3 s.h.
Mathematics, Science & Technology:
- MATH 280T Workshop: Pre-College Mathematics, 3 s.h.
Admission to the Early Childhood Education M.A. Program
Phase III - Professional Portfolio Project
Prerequisites: completion of Phases 1 and 2
- Completion of all course requirements for the Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education with an overall GPA of 3.0;
- Completion of the 35 s.h. course requirements in the Master of Arts in Early Childhood with no fewer than 26 s.h. in residence at Hofstra University;
- A culminating professional portfolio project successfully completed in Phase III;
- Completion of the master’s degree within a five-year period.
Professional certificate requirements: Upon successful completion of the Master of Arts in Early Childhood Education, students are eligible to be recommended by the University for New York state professional certification in early childhood. Additional information pertaining to certification can be found in the School of Education and Allied Human Services.