Sep 23, 2017
Assistant Professor Thompson, Graduate Program Director, 516-463-5749
This advanced certificate program is designed to provide the knowledge and skills necessary to operate a fiscally sound school district within the parameters established by New York state and the local school system. The program is suitable for current educational administrators who wish to develop expertise in the business and financial aspects of a school district organization. It is also suitable for individuals, with or without prior experience in education, who seek preparation for school district business leadership positions. Completion of this program qualifies the graduate for the New York State School District Business Leader (SDBL) certificate.
On average, students complete this program in two and one-half academic years.
Application for admission is made to the Graduate Admissions Office. Admission decisions will be based on the following:
- Applicants must have completed a master’s degree and a minimum of five years of full-time experience in a professional position in educational or non-educational organizations. A master’s degree in business administration or accounting is preferred.
- The application must also include the following documents and demonstrate evidence of essential leadership qualities and characteristics:
a.) Official transcripts.
b.) Three completed department recommendation forms .
c.) Current resume.
d.) Statement of purpose.
- Evidence of administrative certification, if completed.
The program consists of 15 or 38 credits, depending on prior education and certification status.
Pre/Corequisite: Prior to graduation, candidates must have completed a minimum of 3 semester hours in governmental fund accounting or the equivalent at the graduate or undergraduate level.
Option 1 - Semester Hours: 38
For applicants who have not completed an approved administrative
certification program, the program requirements include the following:
Option 2 - Semester Hours: 15
For applicants who have completed certificate programs in approved
programs and currently hold certification as School District Leader
(SDL), or School District Administrator (SDA), the program requirements
are as follows:
Upon successful completion of the educational program, students will be eligible to apply for the University’s recommendation for New York state certification. In addition to fulfilling the required courses of study, the Commissioners Regulations mandate that all prospective teachers, pupil personnel and education leaders receive instructions regarding:
- Identification of Child Abuse and Maltreatment
- Fire and Arson Prevention
- School Violence Prevention and Intervention
- Prevention of Alcohol, Tobacco and Drug Abuse
- Highway and School Safety/Prevention of Child Abduction
New York State legislation also requires all persons seeking certification as special education teachers or school administrators working in special education to have training in the area of children with autism. All of these requirements must be completed before the conferral of the degree and recommendation for certification. Candidates for certification in New York state must also demonstrate satisfactory performance on the requisite state assessment.