Hofstra and You
Founded in 1935 as Long Island’s first coeducational college, Hofstra has evolved into a major independent university. Hofstra today offers distinguished graduate programs in education, business, communication, health professions and human services, law, medicine, and the arts and sciences.
Graduate study at Hofstra University is characterized by both its broad intellectual reach and its scholarly and scientific depth. Hofstra graduate students are educated by, and work closely with, a distinguished, nationally recognized faculty who are highly respected in their chosen fields. Both our faculty and students seek a learning environment and experiences that connect scholarship in the academy and work in the profession. A Hofstra graduate education will provide you with the foundation you need to reach your highest personal and professional aspirations.
In all its graduate programs, Hofstra University:
- Welcomes students to a select and congenial community of scholars, faculty and professionals who value both teaching and scholarship.
- Promotes and facilitates the pursuit of lifelong education in traditional and nontraditional arenas.
- Encourages scholarship, research and professional training in and across disciplines, fostering sound, and creative thinking.
Graduate school should be intellectually exhilarating and challenging. At Hofstra you will find a field that fascinates you and a profession that you will want to pursue with lifelong passion and commitment. Explore this Bulletin and the variety of programs we offer , and come visit us. We invite you to spend time on our campus, meet with directors of our graduate programs , talk to some of our students, visit a class and feel the excitement of Hofstra University for yourself. We are an extraordinary community.
Statement of Mission and Goals
Hofstra University is a private institution whose primary mission is to provide a quality education to its students in an environment that encourages, nurtures, and supports learning through the free and open exchange of ideas, for the betterment of humankind. Hofstra University is fully committed to academic freedom and to the transmission, advancement, and preservation of knowledge for its own academic community and for the community at large. Hofstra University offers undergraduate and graduate programs taught by a research-active and professionally engaged faculty. Academic excellence guides everything the University undertakes.
- Hofstra University’s undergraduate education provides a firm foundation in the liberal arts and sciences designed to encourage intellectual curiosity. This broadly based education develops students’ analytical and critical thinking, strengthens their communication skills (oral and written), promotes cross-cultural competencies and provides information literacy and technological skills that prepare students to become lifelong learners.
- Hofstra University is dedicated to the pre-professional, professional, masters and doctoral programs that support a wide range of career aspirations.
- Hofstra University is devoted to recruiting and retaining a highly qualified and diverse academic community of students, faculty, staff and administrators respectful of the contributions and dignity of each of its members.
- Hofstra University’s faculty is committed to excellence in teaching, scholarly research and service. The University emphasizes and supports the creation and synthesis of knowledge as well as its dissemination. We believe the best education for students is one informed by their teachers’ scholarly pursuits.
- Hofstra University is committed to providing the informational and technological resources required for learning and the advancement of knowledge.
- Hofstra University strives to cultivate students’ social and ethical responsibility, aesthetic sensibility, creativity, and emotional and physical well-being.
- Hofstra University offers educational, co-curricular and cultural programs and activities that foster an awareness of local, national and global issues, encouraging students to be active citizens and contributors to their local, national and global communities.
- Hofstra University recognizes its important role in our local community and in participating in a broader national and international dialogue. We offer programs and seek opportunities that mutually benefit the Hofstra community and those beyond our campus.