Jul 16, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2023-2024 Undergraduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED BULLETIN]

Study Abroad

Hofstra University encourages students to be active citizens and contribute to their local, national, and global communities. Our study abroad policies are designed to support international learning along with learning in residence at Hofstra University.

Program Sessions & Eligibility

Summer and January Sessions:

  • Hofstra sponsors several three-week programs during the January Session and many summer programs. Students may participate in any number of summer and/or January study abroad programs after matriculation into Hofstra University.
  • First-year students with 12 or more earned credits may enroll in a January session study abroad experience if they meet the program eligibility.

Fall and Spring Semesters:

  • Students must have completed at least two (2) semesters of coursework on-campus prior to enrolling in a semester or academic year program abroad.
  • Transfer students with 30 or more approved transfer credits may enroll in study abroad after one (1) full-time semester at Hofstra University.
  • Students may study abroad for a maximum of three (3) Fall or Spring semesters over the course of their undergraduate degree program.
  • Students are permitted to enroll in two (2) consecutive semesters abroad with permission from their dean’s office. They must return to in-person/on-campus courses after the second semester abroad has concluded. An exception can be made for a third consecutive semester abroad if one or more of the semesters abroad is a full-time study abroad experience sponsored by Hofstra University and led by Hofstra faculty.

Grade Point Average Requirement

All Hofstra students must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher to participate in any study abroad experience. Some programs may require a GPA minimum exceeding 2.5 or 3.0. All program-specific requirements should be carefully reviewed by students and their dean in the Center for University Advising and their faculty advisor in their declared major department.

Residency Requirements

The university’s Residency Requirement provides that a student’s last 30 credits must be earned in residence (i.e., on-campus) at Hofstra University, typically a student’s senior year. Please note a study abroad experience with a Hofstra faculty member is considered “in-residence.” For Non-Hofstra Study Abroad programs, a student may seek a waiver of the residency requirement from their dean’s office. 

Residency Requirement Waiver Process: Prior to seeking a waiver, students must receive advisement on – and provide confirmation that – all degree requirements will be fulfilled and that participation in a study abroad program will not delay degree completion. Students must be aware that when studying abroad in their final semester, they may not be back in time to walk in the spring commencement ceremony.

Study Abroad Credit Hours

A student is permitted a maximum of eighteen (18) credit hours for either Fall or Spring semester study abroad. If a student wishes to take more than the permitted credits, he/she must obtain a waiver from their dean’s office.

A student is permitted a maximum of seven (7) credit hours for Summer Sessions 1 and 2 (5-week span) and a maximum of 4 credit hours for January or Summer Session 3 (3-week span). If a student wishes to take more than the permitted credits, they must obtain a waiver from their dean’s office.

Non-Hofstra Study Abroad Programs

Hofstra University supports semester and yearlong programs offered by established programs. If going abroad with a non-Hofstra study abroad provider or another college or university, a student must complete and submit to the Office of Study Abroad the Application for Permission to Study Abroad at Another Institution/Course Equivalency Form. This form must list the proposed courses the student plans to take abroad and have the signatures/approvals from the Hofstra department chairperson(s) and the academic dean of their school. In addition to proposed courses, a student is encouraged to obtain pre-approval for at least two or three alternate courses.

A study abroad application, including the Application for Permission to Study Abroad at Another Institution/Course Equivalency Form, must be submitted to the Study Abroad Office via https://hofstra-sa.terradotta.com/:

  • For Summer and Fall study abroad – the first Monday in April
  • For January and Spring study abroad – the first Monday in November

A student who takes a course abroad that has not been pre-approved must do so immediately upon completion of the semester abroad. Course(s) that are not approved prior to the program start date may not be accepted for transfer credit by Hofstra University. Financial aid may not be applicable.

  • Good academic standing (a minimum of 2.0 cumulative GPA) and good judicial standing at Hofstra are required for approval of transfer of credit. Courses must be completed with a grade of C- or better in order for Hofstra transfer credit to be awarded. Credit will be awarded with a grade of P. Courses completed with a grade lower than a C- will not receive credit.
  • A maximum of two (2) courses may be applied toward distribution requirements spread across different distribution categories. Note: For Hofstra Study Abroad programs, there is no limit to the number of courses that may be applied toward distribution requirements.

When an HU course equivalent carries distribution credit the chair of the respective academic department will indicate such on the Course Equivalency/Permission to Study Abroad Form.

Study Abroad Extensions

Students wanting to extend their non-Hofstra study abroad program from one to two consecutive semesters while overseas must receive approval from their dean’s office. The student must complete a second Application for Permission to Study Abroad at Another Institution/Course Equivalency Form with all approvals and submit it to the Study Abroad Office eight weeks prior to the second semester abroad.

Study Abroad Transcripts

Upon completion of the study abroad program, a student must ensure that the official transcript is sent to the Study Abroad/Provost’s Office directly from the school abroad. Transcripts can be emailed to studyabroad@hofstra.edu or mailed to 200 West Library Wing, Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549. The university providing a transcript at the end of the program must be either an accredited institution in the United States or an institution recognized by the Ministry of Education (or its equivalent) in its home country.

If a student applies for admission to graduate studies after the study abroad experience, they are responsible for requesting that an official transcript from the foreign school or study abroad provider be sent to the graduate school. Neither the Study Abroad Office nor Academic Records at Hofstra University is responsible for obtaining a student’s transcript from a study abroad experience.

Updated January 2024