Dec 13, 2018  
2009-2010 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2009-2010 Undergraduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED BULLETIN]

Financial Aid


Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.


Office of Student Financial Services, 202 Memorial Hall
E-mail:; Phone: (516) 463-8000;
Fax: (516) 463-4936
Hours: Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (9 a.m.-4 p.m. during the summer); Evening hours vary, see online schedule.

Hofstra makes financial aid available in the form of scholarships, grants, loans and jobs. Like other universities that subscribe to the policies of the Federal Student Aid Programs, we believe that eligibility for scholarship aid should depend on the student’s achievement and promise. Such aid may also depend on the relative financial need of the student and his or her family.

Prospective new full-time freshmen in good standing are eligible for awards ranging in value up to full tuition. Scholarships are also available for full-time undergraduate students in good academic standing. These renewable one-year awards are granted on the basis of academic quality, personal merit, need and, in some cases, proficiency in a specialized area. Students have the responsibility to plan ahead, anticipate all costs, budget all resources, and request aid for the entire academic period. Anticipated costs include not only tuition and fees but a reasonable cost estimate for books and supplies, transportation, room and board where applicable, and personal expenses. Budgeted resources should include assistance from parents, student savings, summer earnings, term-time earnings, federal and state aid, and scholarships from community civic organizations.

The Financial Aid Office coordinates all sources of financial aid for which a student is eligible. Awards may require adjustment at any time if additional awards are received.

Students who are pursuing second undergraduate degrees may be eligible for federal financial aid; however they are not eligible for institutional funds.

Hofstra University awards scholarships and other financial assistance on a racially nondiscriminatory basis.


Application and Reapplication Procedures




Applicants for financial aid must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA determines eligibility for the federal financial aid programs: Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG), Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH), Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Work Study (FWS), Federal Stafford Loans and Federal PLUS Loans. The results of the federal need calculation may also be used to determine eligibility for other awards. Please note that February 15 is the priority application deadline for freshman awards.

The FAFSA is available online. For assistance completing the FAFSA, call 1-800-4-FEDAID; Hofstra’s school code is 002732.

New York state residents should apply for the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) by completing the FAFSA. After completing the FAFSA, students will be directed to complete a TAP express application online at For assistance completing the TAP application, call 1-888-NYS-HESC; Hofstra’s TAP code is 0300.

Requests for financial assistance will not influence a candidate’s consideration for admission in any way. Financial aid decisions will be made after the student has been offered admission to the university, and the student will be informed by mail.

Transfer Students

All transfer students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Completed applications must be in the Office of Financial Aid by May 1 for the fall semester and December 15 for the spring semester. The FAFSA is available online. Hofstra’s school code is 002732.

Continuing Students

Recipients of financial aid must reapply each year. To receive consideration for renewal of institutional financial aid, full-time students must successfully complete at least 24 semester hours in residence each academic year with a minimum of 18 hours in which a letter grade is assigned until senior standing (88 hours) has been attained.

The grade point average necessary for renewal of a scholarship is listed in the description of that scholarship. The University reserves the right to change renewal criteria. Eligible entering freshmen may renew their scholarships for a maximum of six semesters; eligible sophomore transfers may renew for a maximum of four semesters; junior transfers for a maximum of two semesters.

To be eligible for renewal of financial aid the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed by the parents and students. Upon request, income documentation and a signed verification worksheet may be required.

The FAFSA is available online beginning January 1. The deadline for filing FAFSA is March 15. Hofstra’s school code is 002732.

Students who are residents of New York state attending full-time can also apply for the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) by completing the FAFSA. New York State Higher Education Service Corporation (NYSHESC) will mail a TAP Express Application for the student to review and return to Albany, New York. Hofstra’s TAP code is 0300.


Undergraduate Scholarships


Full-Time Students

Academic Scholarships and Activity Grants are applied toward tuition only and do not apply to University fees, living expenses, tutorials, credit by examination or specified off-campus programs. Therefore, receipt of awards which apply to tuition only such as tuition remission, tuition exchange, the New York State Tuition Assistance Program and other specified tuition only awards will result in the adjustment of institutional scholarships/grants not to exceed the cost of tuition.

These scholarships are awarded annually to cover eight Hofstra semesters for entering freshmen, six Hofstra semesters for sophomore transfers, four Hofstra semesters for junior transfers and two Hofstra semesters for senior transfers and may not be applied to summer session attendance except as specifically authorized by the Scholarship Review Committee. Generally, a student is eligible for only one scholarship awarded by Hofstra University.

Distinguished Academic Scholar Program

A limited number of full-tuition scholarships are available to students with outstanding academic achievement, regardless of financial need. All applicants with superior high school records and standardized test scores are considered. Students not selected for one of Hofstra’s full-tuition scholarships may still qualify for one of the awards listed below. These scholarships may be maintained and renewed by recipients who meet the renewal criteria at the end of this section. These scholarships are awarded by the Office of Admission.

Presidential Scholarships

Presidential Scholarships are awarded to entering freshmen who have achieved an excellent high school record and above average SAT or ACT score.

These scholarships may be maintained and renewed by recipients who meet the renewal criteria listed at the end of this section. These scholarships are awarded by the Office of Admission.

Hofstra Achievement Scholarships

Hofstra Achievement Scholarships are awarded to entering freshmen who have achieved an outstanding high school record and above average SAT or ACT score.

These scholarships may be maintained and renewed by recipients who meet the renewal criteria listed at the end of this section. These scholarships are awarded by the Office of Admission.

Assistance Grants

Assistance Grants are awarded to entering students and are an example of Hofstra University’s commitment toward meeting a student’s financial need as determined by submission of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). A student with demonstrated financial need and academic preparation will be considered for this grant.

The grants may be maintained and renewed by recipients who meet the renewal criteria listed at the end of this section. These grants are awarded by the Office of Admission.

Activity Grants

Activity Grants are awarded in recognition of ability in art, athletics, drama, communications, music and/or dance.

Each grant requires the recipient be an active participant in the area of specialization at Hofstra. Each applicant should write or call the appropriate department chairperson before January 15 concerning coming year awards. These grants may be awarded or renewed upon recommendation of the department provided the student maintains a cumulative grade point average of 2.0. If the student’s cumulative GPA falls below 2.0, appeals should be directed to the department chairperson in the respective specialization.

Academic Honors Transfer Scholarships

Academic Honors Transfer Scholarships may be awarded to incoming transfer students who have completed a minimum of one term at other accredited institution(s) and have a superior cumulative grade point average. These scholarships will be renewed for recipients who meet the renewal criteria listed below. These scholarships are awarded by the Office of Admission.

Part-Time Students

Scholarships may be awarded to incoming part-time students who have completed 24 credits at other accredited institution(s). These scholarships may be renewed for recipients who meet the appropriate renewal criteria. Students must take a minimum of six credits each semester. These scholarships are awarded by the Office of Admission.

Renewal Criteria

  1. Academic scholarships may be renewed if the recipient maintains full-time status and meets the minimum academic average of 3.0 cumulative grade point average after enrollment at Hofstra for two consecutive semesters. The grade point average for renewal is based on grades earned only at Hofstra University. Students entering prior to the fall 2006 semester should consult their academic year Bulletin for renewal criteria.
  2. Assistance Grants may be renewed if the student maintains a 2.0 cumulative grade point average. A FAFSA must be on file each year for renewal consideration.
  3. Hofstra Grants may be renewed if the student maintains a 2.0 cumulative grade point average.
  4. Activity Grants may be renewed if the student maintains a 2.0 cumulative grade point average. Students whose Activity Grants are not renewed because their cumulative grade point average drops below 2.0 may appeal to their department chairperson.
  5. Recipients must successfully complete a minimum of 24 credit hours per academic year at Hofstra with a minimum of 18 hours of letter grades other than P. Recipients of Hofstra institutional funds must be enrolled for full-time credit (a minimum of 12 credits) each semester for maintenance of Hofstra institutional funds. Part-time student scholarships and grants require enrollment of no less than 6 credits each semester. 
  6. Scholarships and grants are awarded to students with junior standing for a maximum of four semesters, with sophomore standing for a maximum of six semesters and to students with freshman standing for a maximum of eight semesters.
  7. With the exception of Activity Grants (see #4 above), students whose scholarships and grants are not renewed because their cumulative grade point average falls below the minimum required, may appeal in writing to the Provost Committee on Scholarship Review. Reinstatement of aid would be based on documented exceptional circumstances. Appeals should be directed to: Provost Committee on Scholarship Review, Office of the Provost, Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549.
  8. Students in their last term of study, who are student teaching, and who meet all of the other criteria, will have their institutional scholarship funds prorated based on their billed hours for the term.


Federal Programs






FEDERAL PELL GRANTS currently ranging from $400 to $4,731 a year, are awarded to undergraduate students demonstrating need. The amount of the grant is based on a federal need analysis calculated by the FAFSA.

FEDERAL SUPPLEMENTAL EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY GRANTS (FSEOG) are intended for students with great financial need who are Pell Grant recipients. They are awarded through the Office of Financial Services from funds provided by the federal government and are subject to change based on availability.

ACADEMIC COMPETITIVENESS AND NATIONAL SMART GRANTS: In addition to the Pell Grant amount, up to $750 will be awarded to eligible first-year AC Grant students, and up to $1,300 to second-year AC Grant students. Up to $4,000 will be awarded to eligible National SMART Grant students for each year in addition to the Pell Grant funds. For AC Grants and SMART Grants, students must: 

  • apply for financial aid by submitting the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have been determined to be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant. Students who have not yet submitted a FAFSA may do so online at;
  • be a U.S. citizen;
  • be enrolled in a two- or four-year degree program; and
  • be enrolled full time.

Additionally, for AC Grants:

  • Students must be in their first or second academic year of a two- or four-year degree program;
  • First-year students must have completed high school on or after January 1, 2008;
  • Second-year students must have completed high school on or after January 1, 2007;
  • All AC Grant students must have completed a rigorous high school program of study as designated by their state; and
  • For a second-year AC Grant, students must have a grade point average (GPA) from their first year of at least 3.0.

Additionally for National SMART Grants, students must:

  • Must be in their third or fourth academic year of a four-year degree program;
  • Must be pursuing a major in mathematics, science (including physical, life, and computer sciences), technology, engineering, or a critical foreign language, such as Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Japanese and Russian; and
  • Must have a grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0.

TEACHER EDUCATION ASSISTANCE FOR COLLEGE AND HIGHER EDUCATION GRANT provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to undergraduate and graduate students who intend to teach in a high need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. A service (work) obligation is required or the grant converts into an Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. Students apply for this grant by filing the FAFSA.

Students and others can go to or call 1-800-4FEDAID to learn more about these new student aid grant programs.



FFEDERAL PERKINS LOAN PROGRAM: Full-time undergraduate students may borrow a maximum of $4,000 per year or no more than $20,000 for four years. Funding limitations are determined on an annual basis. No repayments are made while the student is still in school. Repayment begins six or nine (if borrower received first Federal Perkins Loan after July 1, 1987) months after graduation or termination of school attendance. During the repayment period, the student is charged five percent interest on the unpaid balance of the loan principal.

Payments may be deferred or cancelled under circumstances described in the Promissory Note. Borrowers may take as long as 10 years to repay. Funds for these loans are provided to the University by the federal government. The number of loans available is limited by the amount of money allocated by the government and students’ willingness to meet their repayment obligations.

FEDERAL STAFFORD LOAN: Students with eligibility may borrow from the Stafford Program to help meet their educational expenses. Two types exist: subsidized and unsubsidized. Need as determined by the federal needs analysis is required to borrow a subsidized Stafford loan; to determine eligibility it is required that students file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year. Students must meet all other federal aid eligibility criteria to borrow.

Subsidized eligibility is always considered first because the interest is fully subsidized during periods of at least half-time attendance (6 credits for undergraduates, 4.5 credits for graduates). Repayment would begin six months after ceasing at least half-time attendance. Students must accept the awards offered on their award notification for processing to begin. A promissory note is required and may be completed on line at A list of lenders will appear in the drop-down box however, you are free to choose any eligible lender/guarantor that participates in the FFEL program. For help choosing a lender/guarantor and evaluating loan benefits, visit or Please contact the Office of Financial Aid if the lender that you would like to use is not listed. The interest rate for 2009-2010 is fixed at 5.6%. Undergraduate students may borrow up to an aggregate limit of $23,000.

The following are the annual limits that may be borrowed:

  • Freshman (0-23 credits earned) $3,500
  • Sophomore (24-57 credits earned) $4,500
  • Junior and Senior (58+ credits earned) $5,500

Unsubsidized base year eligibility is limited to remaining amounts of the above limits not covered by calculated need. Students borrowing unsubsidized funds must make interest payments while enrolled, or interest may be capitalized until repayment begins. The interest rate for unsubsidized loans is fixed at 6.8%. Repayment begins 6 months after the student ceases at least half-time attendance. Dependent undergraduate students may borrow $2,000 in addition to the annual based year limit in the unsubsidized loan. Undergraduate students meeting the federal definition of an independent student may borrow additional unsubsidized loan up to the following annually*:

  • Freshman (0-23 credits earned) $4,000
  • Sophomore (24-57 credits earned) $4,000
  • Junior and Senior (58+ credits earned) $5,000

*Dependent undergraduates may also borrow this supplement if a parent is unable to obtain a PLUS loan.

Application procedure is similar to the subsidized Stafford. Also see “Title IV Refund Policy.”

FEDERAL PARENT PLUS LOANS: PLUS loans are available to parents of dependent undergraduate students to assist with educational expenses. These loans do carry a credit criteria and the lender has the final discretion on approval. Students must be enrolled at least half-time and meet all other federal eligibility criteria. The interest rate on PLUS is fixed at 8.5%. The annual limit is the student’s cost of attendance less any other type of financial aid and no aggregate limit exists. 

Accepting PLUS offered on the award notification will allow processing of loans to begin. The College Cost Reduction and Access Act (CCRAA) stipulates that beginning in the 2009-2010 award year, all new parent PLUS loans made in the FFEL program will be made through two lenders determined by the Department of Education. Each state will have two specified lenders in which parents can borrow within the PLUS loan program. “New” borrowers are defined as parents who have previously not borrowed a PLUS on behalf of a dependent student. Parents who have already borrowed a parent PLUS loan through a specific lender for a dependent student will be able to continue to use that lender after July 1, 2009. However, parents who take new PLUS loans for new dependent students would be required use the lenders selected through the PLUS program with the two determined lenders. Parents with multiple dependents enrolled in colleges—even if those students are in the same state —could have different lenders if the dependents’ enrollment dates are two years apart.

Step 1: Beginning May 15 you should log on to to complete an electronic Master Promissory Note (e-MPN). Click on the “Students, Families and Counselors” box. Then click the “New York Residents” or “Outside of New York” box appropriate to your state of legal residence. After that you will need to click on the “complete the e-MPN” box and follow steps 1-3 for the PLUS loan. The instructions will direct you to register for an HESC PIN if you do not already have a PIN. (Both parent and student will need one.) This PIN will be your choice; therefore, you can use the same one assigned for completing the FAFSA. The instructions will walk you through the credit check process required to obtain a PLUS loan. You will be required to choose one of two lenders, as determined by the Secretary of Education, when completing the e-MPN. For help in understanding the process and evaluating loan benefits, please go to or If you choose not to complete the MPN electronically, please call 1-888-NYS-HESC to obtain a paper MPN. Paper MPN forms must be returned to: NYSHESC, 99 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12255. You may only choose one of the two lenders that were chosen by the Department of Education to issue PLUS loans in the state where your student will be attending college. If you wish to use a lender/guarantor that is not listed, please proceed to step 2 and contact the Office of Student Financial Services at or by calling (516) 463-8000. 

Step 2: Download and complete the Parent PLUS Loan Request Form. Return the form to the Office of Student Financial Services , 202 Memorial Hall, 126 Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY 11549-1260. 

Repayment begins 60 days from the final disbursement for the loan period unless it is deferred. Contact your lender for deferment information.



FEDERAL WORK STUDY: Various jobs are available for students who demonstrate financial need. Funds for these jobs are allocated to the University by the federal government. The dollar amount indicated on the award notification is the maximum amount eligible to be earned during the school year but is not a guarantee; total earnings will depend on the number of hours worked. Students are paid directly, semimonthly in the form of a pay check as hours are worked.

Jobs are available during the regular academic year and for the summer. Entering students can apply for on-campus jobs for the summer prior to their initial year at Hofstra.

Federal Work Study positions can provide valuable experience relative to a chosen career or assistance in determining a career. For example: accounting majors can work for county comptroller or finance departments; premedical students, for hospitals; prelaw students, for consumer affairs or legally related nonprofit agencies; education students, for schools or day care centers and communications majors can work in educational TV and municipal cultural affairs agencies.

If Federal Work Study is listed as a form of financial aid on your award notification, you may report to the Office of Student Employment, Human Resources Center. Complete information about Federal Work Study student employment, including a downloadable handbook of policies and procedures, is available online.


The federal processor uses a system of edits, or flags, which produces a selection of certain applications for verification. If a student’s application is selected for verification, this may mean that a data element in his or her application does not fit generally recognized patterns (not necessarily that the element is incorrect; it merely must be verified), or that the student was simply selected at random. The University’s Office of Student Financial Services may also select files for verification if there appears to be a conflict of information. If a student is selected for verification, the student is notified on the Student Aid Report (SAR).

If a student is selected for verification, the following required documentation must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office:

  • 2009-2010 Verification Worksheet (dependent or independent)
  • Signed copy of student’s (and spouse’s, if applicable), parent’s (if applicable) 2008 federal income tax return and all schedules and W-2 forms (W-2 forms alone cannot be used for verification).
  • If you do not have a copy of your tax return, please call the IRS at 1 (800) 829-1040 and ask for a tax transcript for the 2008 calendar year. This form is acceptable in lieu of an actual copy of your tax return but must be signed by the tax filer prior to submission.
  • Other documents as needed.

Federal financial aid cannot be disbursed and Stafford Loans may not be certified until verification is complete. Estimated financial aid awards will be rescinded if verification has not been completed within specified deadlines. In this case, any deferred tuition and fees become due immediately. Please keep in mind that you will be notified of any adjustments that are necessary and corrections will be made for information that is not accurate, which may affect your ability to receive aid. If corrections are made to your FAFSA as a result of the verification process, you will be sent an updated SAR from the federal processor. Notification of revised awards will be mailed to new students; continuing students will receive an e-mail via their Hofstra Pride account and can immediately access their awards online through the Hofstra Portal.

Verification must be completed no later than 90 days past the last day of your enrollment for each academic year. Corrections involving the federal processor must be made prior to mid-August.

In order to receive Stafford or Graduate PLUS loans, verification must be completed prior to the last date of the term in which the student wishes to borrow funds.

Outside Scholarship Policy


Scholarships from outside sources such as foundations, community organizations, and corporations are valuable resources to help fund your education. Students must notify the Office of Student Accounts of any outside awards from sources other than federal or state governments. All outside scholarships supplement the Hofstra University scholarship or grant you may be awarded as long as all sources do not exceed our total costs of education (as listed in our breakdown of college costs). Your total gift aid from all sources may not exceed your total cost of attendance. If this amount is reached with the inclusion of scholarships from outside organizations, we will begin to reduce federally regulated portions of your aid award (Federal Perkins Loans, Stafford Loans, SEOG/ACG/SMART, and Federal Work Study) dollar for dollar. Athletic grants-in-aid and tuition subsidies based on parents’ employment (tuition grant, tuition remission, tuition exchange) are considered to be exceptions to our outside scholarship policy, as we will reduce Hofstra Scholarship dollar for dollar if you receive any of these if we did not list them on your original award letter. Non-need based loans (Unsubsidized Stafford, PLUS, Alternative) will not cause a reduction in Hofstra Scholarship.

If the scholarship or stipend is reported on an IRS 1099 or W-2, it will be considered taxable income and not a resource against other assistance. If a “scholarship” has a repayment or employment obligation it will be considered a replacement of expected family contribution.

Funds from outside scholarships or other awards should be sent by the donor to Hofstra University. The funds are credited to the student’s University account and disbursed in the same way as Hofstra scholarships or grants. Unless otherwise specified, outside scholarships will be posted to the student’s account to reduce any outstanding tuition, room or board charges.

Outside award checks should be sent to: Office of Student Accounts, 205 Memorial Hall, 126 Hofstra University, Hempstead, New York 11549-1260. The check should include the student’s full name, Social Security number, and any special instructions for disbursement on a letter or form accompanying the check. Make the check payable to Hofstra University, if possible. Indicate the donor’s name on the check. Although checks are accepted year-round, outside awards should be sent before August 1 for the fall semester and November 1 for the spring semester to appear as a “credit” on the student’s fee invoice.

Once a scholarship check is received and applied to the student’s account for the fall and spring semester, no changes will be made. Upon a student’s written request, the University will verify, a student’s enrollment and provide other data with an understanding that it is fulfilling a service to its students. The provision of that service does not indicate that the University is a recipient of the grant or scholarship received by the student or that it is in any way administering any portion of the external program, or that it is responsible for decisions made by outside donors.

Athletic Grant in Aid Policy for Student Athletes


As a Division I member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association, Hofstra University awards athletic grants in aid to student athletes each year.

For the fully funded (head count) sports (men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball and football), student athletes who receive both an athletic grant in aid and a Hofstra University funded merit/academic scholarship will have the Hofstra University Merit Award replaced completely by athletic grant in aid.  The student will be eligible, should he/she lose his/her position on the athletic team, to request reinstatement of the academic scholarship (Hofstra University Merit Award). Re-awarding of this scholarship will be dependent upon the student’s demonstrated academic success in accordance with the University’s renewal criteria for institutional aid.

Those students who participate in sports for which the University awards equivalency athletic grants in aid, and who receive both the athletic grant in aid and a Hofstra University-funded merit/academic scholarship, will maintain the full amounts of both the Hofstra University Merit Award and the athletic grant in aid. Any Hofstra student-athlete receiving athletic aid may not be awarded other institutional aid per NCAA by-law without prior approval from the head coach, and ultimately the Office of Financial Aid. Other institutional aid is defined as all funds administered by Hofstra University, which include, but are not limited to the following: scholarships, grants, tuition waivers or employee dependent tuition benefits. Any other aid received from an outside source where athletic participation may be a major criterion is also subject to approval.

Federal Satisfactory Academic Progress


Satisfactory academic progress is defined as proceeding toward successful completion of degree requirements. The Office of Financial Aid at Hofstra is required by federal regulation to determine if students are meeting the requirement. The official academic record of the university is reviewed to determine student compliance with this policy.

Student Aid Programs Under This Policy

Federal Pell Grant, Academic Competitiveness Grant, SMART Grant, TEACH Grant, Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Work Study (FWS), Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Stafford Loan and Federal Parent Loan (PLUS). 

Components of Satisfactory Academic Progress

  1. Students are provided a maximum number of hours to complete their degrees;
  2. Students are required to maintain a cumulative, retention grade point average;
  3. Students must successfully complete at least 75% of the total, cumulative hours attempted.

Maximum Time Frame

At Hofstra the average number of hours required to complete a first bachelors degree is 124. Students are given 150% of the average time required to complete a degree in credit hours. Therefore, students must complete their first bachelor’s degree within 186 hours. This is a student’s attempted hours and includes all W grades.

Cumulative Grade Point Average

All undergraduates who have attempted less than 58 hours must maintain a 1.7 cumulative grade point average. Undergraduates who have attempted 58 hours or more must maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average.

Hours Successfully Completed

All students must complete 75% of the cumulative hours they attempt. This includes all hours attempted at any college or university that have  transferred to Hofstra. For example, a student who has attempted 58 hours must have successfully completed 44 hours (58 x .75 = 43.5 rounded to 44).

Annual Review

Academic records are reviewed at the conclusion of the spring semester once grades are posted. Students who satisfy the conditions of the progress policy remain eligible to receive federal student assistance. Students who are receiving state grants, athletic awards, and/or other forms of scholarships must meet the retention requirements specific to those awards.

Failure to Maintain Academic Progress

Students who exceed the maximum number of hours allowed for degree completion become immediately ineligible for federal student assistance. However students have the opportunity to appeal and provide documentation to the financial aid office that explains why the student has exceeded the maximum hour threshold.

Probationary Status

Students who fail to meet either the cumulative grade point average requirement or the percentage of cumulative hours attempted criteria will be placed on probation for the following academic year. During the probationary period students must complete the necessary number of hours and/or increase their cumulative grade point averages in keeping with the satisfactory academic progress policy. Students who fail to do so will become ineligible for federal student assistance..

Appeal Opportunity

Students who are notified of their ineligibility may submit a written appeal and any supporting documentation to the Office of Financial Aid. An appeal procedure is included with the letter of ineligibility. An appeal if submitted should speak in detail to mitigating or extenuating circumstances that affected the student’s academic performance e.g., severe physical injury or mental trauma.

State Grants


NEW YORK STATE TUITION ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (TAP): these are grants awarded by the state of New York to state residents who are in full-time attendance at colleges and universities located in the state of New York. The application process begins each year with the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The next step is completing a TAP Express Application online at Hofstra’s TAP code is 0300.

Students must maintain satisfactory academic progress and program pursuit in order to renew a TAP award. These requirements are detailed on the Web site listed above. Hofstra uses the following chart to determine satisfactory academic progress.

Before being certified for this payment 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th* 10th*
Student must have accrued at least this many credits 0 3 9 21 33 45 60 75 90 105
With at least this grade point average 0


1.2 1.3 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 2.0

 * HEOP students only.
Noncredit remedial instruction may be counted toward a full-time academic load. The number of credits in this chart refers to work (credit-bearing) completed toward the degree.

Program pursuit requires the student receive a passing or failing grade in a certain percentage of the full-time minimum course load of 12 credits. During the first year of study, a student must secure a passing or failing grade in a minimum of 6 credits per semester, (50 percent of the minimum full-time course load); during the second year, 9 credits per semester (75 percent of the full-time course load); and during the third and fourth years, 12 credits per semester (100 percent of the minimum full-time course load). Grades of W, UW and permanent INC are not acceptable in meeting the pursuit requirement.

A one-time waiver is available for students who fail these standards due to unforeseen circumstances. Examples of unforeseen circumstances are severe medical problems or change of major field of study.  Further information about the waiver is available from the Center for University Advisement.

STATE AID TO NATIVE AMERICANS: awards for full- and part-time study are available to members of the native American tribes located on reservations within New York state. For application forms and further information write to Native American Education Unit, New York State Education Dept., 471 Education Building Annex, Albany, NY 12234.

REGENTS AWARDS FOR CHILDREN OF DECEASED AND DISABLED VETERANS: a special application may be obtained from and filed with the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation, Albany, NY 12255. Documentary evidence to establish eligibility is required with the application. Any high-school counselor can provide assistance.

The applicant must be the child of a veteran who died, or who has a current disability of 50 percent or more, or who had such disability at the time of death as the result of U.S. military service during one of the following periods:

December 7, 1941-December 31, 1946
June 27, 1950-January 31, 1955
October 1, 1961-May 7, 1975

and a legal resident of New York state. Legal residence in New York state on the part of the parent is also required at the time of entry into military service, or, if the parent died as a result of military service, at the time of death.

The amount awarded is $450 per year, for up to five years, depending on the normal length of the program of study of full-time attendance in an approved post- secondary school in New York state.

REGENTS AWARDS FOR CHILDREN OF DECEASED POLICE OFFICERS OR FIREFIGHTERS: the awards provide a $450 grant per year, for up to five years, to children of police officers or firefighters who served in New York state and died after June 30, 1982, as a result of injuries sustained in the line of duty. A special application may be obtained from and must be filed with the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation, Albany, New York 12255.

The student must be matriculated and enrolled full time in an approved postsecondary educational program in New York state.

WORLD TRADE CENTER MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP: awards for families and financial dependents of innocent victims who died or were severely and permanently disabled as a result of September 11, 2001, terrorist attack. For further information visit

NEW YORK STATE AID FOR PART-TIME STUDY (APTS): awards up to $2,000 per year are available for undergraduate students registered for 3 to 11 credits per semester. Applications are available in the Office of Financial Aid, second floor, Memorial Hall. The last day to submit APTS applications is October 1 for the fall semester and March 5 for the spring semester.

NEW YORK STATE PART-TIME TAP: Part-time students who were first-time, full-time freshmen in 2006-2007 may be eligible for Part-time TAP to help them pay for college beginning in 2007-2008. Part-time TAP is a grant and does not have to be paid back. Part-time TAP is not the same as Aid for Part-Time Study.

Student Eligibility
To be eligible for Part-time TAP, a student must:

  • Be a first-time freshman in the 2006-2007 academic year or thereafter
  • Have earned 12 credits or more in each of the two consecutive semesters, for a minimum total of 24 credits earned
  • Maintain a minimum of a “C” average

In addition, the student must:

  • Be a United States citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • Be a legal resident of New York state
  • Have graduated from high school in the United States, or earned a GED, or passed a federally approved “Ability to Benefit” test as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department
  • Be matriculated in an approved program of study and be in good academic standing
  • Be charged at least $200 tuition per year
  • Be taking 6 but fewer than 12 credits per semester or 4 but fewer than 8 credits per trimester
  • Not be in default on a student loan guaranteed by HESC and not be in any repayment of state awards
  • Meet income eligibility limitations

Eligible Institutions
To be eligible, students must attend one of the following:

  • The State University of New York (SUNY)
  • The City University of New York (CUNY)
  • Not-for-profit independent degree granting colleges

How to Apply
To apply, complete and submit the FAFSA and TAP applications and follow the instructions provided. Hofstra’s School Code is 0300 for TAP.

Income Limits
The income limits for Part-time TAP are the same as those for undergraduate TAP:

  • Dependent undergraduate students or students who are married or have tax dependents—$80,000 New York state net taxable income.
  • Single independent undergraduate students with no dependents—$10,000 New York state net taxable income.

TAP Credits
Semester Schools
Partial TAP payment will be made for students taking 6 to 11 credits as shown below:

Points Accrual for Part-time TAP Payments-Semester Schools


Percent of Full Award

Points Acrrued




















Other Sources of Aid


OFFICE OF VOCATIONAL REHABILITATION: VESID provides funds for educational purposes to persons who have physical or mental disabilities which are handicaps to employment. Contact your local Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, whose telephone number can be located in your telephone directory under State Agencies.

VETERANS GI BILL BENEFITS: funds for educational purposes are available to veterans of the Armed Forces. Contact the Veteran’s Representative, Harleigh Gastman, at Hofstra (516) 463-4467 for individual information.

PRIVATE AGENCIES such as religious organizations, unions, foundations and social, civic and cultural groups may make awards to students. Consult your guidance counselor. Check any organization in which you or your parents participate. Check Web site:

MILITARY SCIENCE awardsfull tuition and required fees plus $300-$500 stipend per month based on Military Science level, plus $600 per semester for books are available to qualified students. Students must participate in ROTC programs leading to a commission in the United States Army. For further information visit or contact us at Hofstra University Army ROTC, Hempstead, NY 11549, (516) 463-5648.

UNITED STATES BUREAU OF INDIAN AFFAIRS AID TO NATIVE AMERICANS awards are available to undergraduate students, and based on available funds to graduate students, who are at least one-fourth American Indian, Eskimo, or Aleut and are enrolled members of a tribe, band, or group recognized by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. For further information contact the Bureau of Indian Affairs Office, Federal Building, Room 523, 100 South Clinton Street, Syracuse, NY 13260.

STUDENT EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE FUNDS: Full-time students enrolled at Hofstra University may apply to the Director of Student Affairs Services and Ombudsperson in 200 Phillips Hall for financial assistance should a personal emergency arise which impacts a student’s ability to pay for expenses other than tuition. All information will be verified by the director. Monies may be allocated in the form of a gift (no repayment) or a loan (repayment).