Professor Stoecker, Chairperson
Professors Boonshaft, Carter, Cinnamon, Lalama, Robinson
Associate Professors Bell, Cassio, Fryling, Stoecker
Assistant Professor Glaser
Acceptance by the Music Department requires an audition in the candidate’s principal area of performance.
Pi Kappa Lambda: a national music honor society. See Honors .
- Students who intend to enroll in MUS 061 or 061A and/or 069 or 069A or 070A must take a departmental examination in rudiments, elements of theory and aural perception before registering. A remedial course may be recommended.
- Students are assigned to MUS 061A in place of 061 and/or 069A in place of 069 by departmental advisement based on the entrance examination in elements of theory and aural perception. Credit will not be granted for both 061 and 061A , 062 and 062A or 069 and 069A .
- Students without previous keyboard experience should enroll in MUS 035 and 035A during the freshman year.
- Ensemble (MUS 020 ), University Band (MUS 021 ), University Symphony Orchestra (MUS 022 ), University Mixed Chorus (MUS 023 ), University Wind Ensemble (MUS 024 ), University Chorale (MUS 025 ) and Chamber Orchestra (MUS 026 ) are organized for participation by the general student body, for credit or as cocurricular activities, as well as by music majors. Open to all qualified students by audition; students desiring credit must register in advance. (Credit of .5 s.h. per semester is on a Pass/D+/D/Fail basis only.) No more than 6 semester hours may be applied to any degree.
- All music majors must take Ensemble (MUS 020 ), under faculty advisement, for six semesters for a total of 3 s.h. Under advisement, all music majors must also participate every semester they are in attendance at Hofstra, in a Major Organization in their principal performing area, University Band (MUS 021 ), University Symphony Orchestra (MUS 022 ), University Mixed Chorus (MUS 023 ), University Wind Ensemble (MUS 024 ), University Chorale (MUS 025 ), or Chamber Orchestra (MUS 026 ) for a total of 3 s.h. Candidates for the Music Education, BSEd Major in degree who are band or orchestra instrumentalists are also required to participate for four semesters (either with or without credit) in one or more of the following choral organizations: University Mixed Chorus (MUS 023 ), Hofstra Chorale (MUS 025 ), Chamber Singers, or the Collegium Musicum chorus.
- All music majors must consult with the Music Department regarding Private Instruction (P) and must enroll in the course of their major performance area during the freshman and sophomore years. A special fee (see Tuition, Financial Aid and Scholarships ) in addition to the semester-hour tuition will be charged for P and is nonrefundable.
- No more than 6 semester hours in P may be applied to the BA or BSEd degree.
- Music courses numbered 031 through 039A, 101C-122C, 101D-120D, 122D, 107, 108, 160A, 160B, 172, 190 and 191 may not be applied toward liberal arts credit. Students will be enrolled in the appropriate courses only after consultation with an adviser.