Office of SPE is located 291 Hagedorn Hall 516-463-5751
Professor Flurkey, Chairperson
Associate Professor Henry, Assistant Chairperson
Professors Blue, Fanelli, Flurkey, Goodman, McDonald Pace, Schwartz, Thompson, Wilson
Associate Professors Frierman, Giuliani, Henry, Ludwig, McGinnis
Assistant Professors DiMartino, Hernandez, Natow, Phillips
Adjunct Assistant Professor Fornari, Halliday
The Department of Specialized Programs in Education offers the following programs:
- Undergraduate major programs leading to a BSEd in Physical Education – certification for teaching of physical education.
- Skills courses—a variety of physical education skills courses for undergraduate degree credit (up to 8 semester hours), open to all students. (See skills courses.)
- Five-year dual degree program: Physical Education and Health (BS) and Health and Physical Education (MS), Dual-degree Program – certification to teach k-12 physical education and health education.
NOTE: For information regarding intercollegiate athletics and recreation and intramural programs, see Facilities and Services .
Admission Requirements for Physical Education and PE/Health Ed programs:
Formal admission into a BSEd degree program in the Department of Specialized Programs in Education is based on a comprehensive review of multiple criteria. The department understands that any single criterion may not reliably predict a student’s potential for success in the program. Students may consider applying even if they fail to meet one of the GPA or testing criteria but feel that other aspects of their experience might compensate.
- A passing score on the Hofstra Writing Proficiency Exam.
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on all course work.
- Submission of scores on a nationally-normed admissions test (such as the SAT, ACT, Advanced Placement or IB).
- Two letters of reference addressing the applicant’s potential to succeed in the teaching profession.
- A written personal statement of professional intent and rationale.
- Completion of all required major activity courses and at least six elective major activity courses with a grade of C- or better, and a cumulative GPA of 2.75 in activity courses