Sep 28, 2021
The BA in Music Business program fosters the next generation of leaders and entrepreneurs in the music industry. The program teaches music business foundations and concepts in order to manage the legal, financial, and creative issues faced by music business professionals in the global music marketplace. Music courses offer insight into harmony, analysis and aural theory. Inside the classroom students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills through lectures, assignments, practicums, case studies and guest speakers in order to navigate the constantly evolving music industry. Outside the classroom, students engage in research, participate in group-based projects and internships to develop skills, apply knowledge and assess opportunities in the marketplace.
Music Business Program Overview
The BA Major in Music Business consists of 30 semester hours of Music Business and Music requiring a grade of C- or above to count towards their major. Additionally, 12 semester hours in the Zarb School of Business are required with a minimum grade of C- or above.
No audition required for entrance into program.
BA Music Business Program Outcomes:
- Learn music business terminology and music history
- Gain knowledge and appreciation of music theory and harmony
- Understand the role and function of the stakeholders in the global music marketplace
- Synthesize intellectual property and the legal aspects of the music business
- Ascertain rights and revenue models in touring, recorded music, publishing, merchandising and sponsorship
- Create innovative marketing and promotional strategies in the music industry
- Recognize technologic advances and their application to the music business
- Employ an innovative problem solving approach to future trends in the music industry
Music Business Requirements
42 s.h. in Music Business, Music, and Business:
- 18 s.h. Music Business
- 12 s.h. Music
- 12 s.h. Business
Music Business Required Courses 18 s.h.
Choose an additional 6.s.h from the following:
Business 12 s.h.
Choose 12 s.h. in Concentration I or II.
Business Concentration II
ENTR 115 and MKT 101 are required, students must choose 6.s.h in Marketing or Entrepreneurship.
Choose 6 s.h. in Marketing or Entrepreneurship