Feb 04, 2023
All students wishing to pursue a BS in music will be required to audition in their applied performance area. Students who do not perform at a level requisite for success in that degree program will be directed to work toward the Bachelor of Arts degree in music. Students may reaudition at any time for admittance to the BS program.
Candidates for graduation must fulfill the following requirements:
1. Total Semester Hours: 128
The successful completion of at least 128 semester hours and a cumulative grade
point average of 2.0 in work completed at Hofstra.
2. Liberal Arts
At least 65 hours must be completed in liberal arts courses with no fewer than
40 outside the Department of Music.
3. Residence Requirements
There are two requirements that must ordinarily be completed in residence at
Hofstra: 15 semester hours in the major field of specialization and the last 30
semester hours. The 15 semester hours need not be included within the last 30
4. General Requirements
- Humanities electives (excluding music) - 6 Semester Hours
- 3 semester hours must be in a distribution appreciation and analysis course. (For listing of distribution courses, see Distribution Courses .)
- Social science electives - 6 Semester Hours
- All music majors must take 3 semester hours in behavioral sciences (BH) and 3 semester hours in history and philosophy (HP) distribution courses, except that
- Music business majors must take ECO 001 , 002 as their social science requirement.
- Natural science distribution course - 3 Semester Hours
- Mathematics/computer science distribution course - 3 Semester Hours
- Foreign language (fulfillment of BA language requirement.)
- WSC 001 - Composition Semester Hours: 3-4
or placement examination. See University Degree requirements
5. The Fulfillment of the Following Major Requirements:
3 Semester Hours
as advised from:
3 Semester Hours
as advised, from:
- MUS 021 - (CP) University Band Semester Hours: 0-0.5
- MUS 022 - (CP) University Symphony Orchestra Semester Hours: 0-0.5
- MUS 023 - (CP) University Mixed Chorus Semester Hours: 0-0.5
- MUS 024 - (CP) University Wind Ensemble Semester Hours: 0-0.5
- MUS 025 - (CP) University Chorale Semester Hours: 0-0.5
- MUS 026 - (CP) Chamber Orchestra Semester Hours: 0-0.5
All music majors must take Ensemble (MUS 020 ), under faculty advisement, for six semesters for a total of 3 s.h. Under advisement, all music majors must also participate every semester they are in attendance at Hofstra, in a Major Organization in their principal performing area, University Band (MUS 021 ), University Symphony Orchestra (MUS 022 ), University Mixed Chorus (MUS 023 ), University Wind Ensemble (MUS 024 ), University Chorale (MUS 025 ), or String Orchestra (MUS 026 ) for a total of 3 s.h. Candidates for the Music Education, BSEd Major in degree who are a band or orchestra instrumentalists are also required to participate for four semesters (either with or without credit) in one or more of the following choral organizations: University Mixed Chorus (MUS 023 ), Hofstra Chorale (MUS 025 ), or Chamber Singers.
3 Semester Hours
as advised, from:
4 Semester Hours
- of Private Instruction (P), plus:
Music and Music Education majors are required to attend 10 concerts per semester for a total of eight semesters. See Music Department for advisement.
The completion of the courses in one of the following concentrations:
3 Semester hours of Advanced Musicianship (MUS 065 )
14 hours of music performance (6 semester hours of C-level Private Instruction and 8 semester hours of D-level Private Instruction); at least 6, but not more than 12, hours of music elective courses, as advised. Piano performance students must take:
Two (2) semester hours of Private Instruction (P level); two (2) semester hours of Composition (MUS 020P); four (4) semester hours of intermediate private instruction (MUS 120B) plus eight (8) semester hours of advanced private instruction (MUS 120D).
Twenty (20) s.h. of composition course requirements and six (6) additional s.h. in music electives.
History/Literature 18 additional hours in music history/ literature courses as
advised; independent study in music bibliography
D. Music Business
Music Business Course Requirements (18 Credits): MUSB 100, MUSB 102, MUSB 103, MUSB 104, MUSB 105, MUSB 106 are required for Music Business Majors.
Music Electives (6 Credits): 6 additional credits in electives may be chosen in either Music, Music Business or Music Technology.
Electives (6 Credits): 3 credits in Liberal Arts and 3 General elective credits are required.
The social science requirement is ECO 001, ECO 002.
Fine Arts Course Requirements (9 Credits): FA 27, FA 51, FA 102A.
Business Course Requirements (15 Credits): MKT 101 and ENTR 115 are required courses. You will choose a track in either Marketing or Entrepreneurship for 9 additional credits. MKT (choose three courses): MKT 124, MKT 132, MKT 133, MKT 175 or ENTR 120, ENTR 122, ENTR 123.
Music Requirements for Music Business Students
The following is a list of music requirements for music business students.
E. Jazz and Commercial Music
- 6 semester hours of Advanced Private Instruction (101C-122C).
Complete BS Requirements
BS Requirements in Hofstra College of Liberal Arts and Sciences