There are two requirements that must ordinarily be completed in-residence at Hofstra: 30 semester hours in the major field of concentration, and the last 30 semester hours.
Candidates for the BFA in Filmmaking must complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of the major in-residence.
The semester hours in-residence for the major need not be included within the last 30 hours.
General Requirements for the BFA:
NOTE: Requirements listed below include options whereby a student may apply courses in one discipline toward several different requirements. No student may use any one course to fulfill more than one general requirement. A single course, however, may be used to satisfy both a general degree requirement and a requirement that is specific to a chosen major or minor.
- Nine semester hours of distribution courses in the humanities (see Distribution Courses). The nine semester hours must include at least three from the Literature category and at least three from the Arts category. No more than three semester hours of Creative Participation courses may be used to satisfy this requirement.
- Nine semester hours of distribution courses in the natural sciences and mathematics/computer science (see Distribution Courses). At least three semester hours must be chosen from each category.
- Nine semester hours of distribution courses in the social sciences (see Distribution Courses). The nine semester hours must include at least three from the Behavioral Sciences category and at least three from the History, Philosophy, Religion category.
- Three semester hours of distribution course credit in the Cross-Cultural category (see Distribution Courses).
- Three semester hours of distribution course credit in the Interdisciplinary Studies/Other category (see Distribution Courses). A student may satisfy this requirement with three semester hours of Interdisciplinary Studies course credit or with three semester hours in any other category. However this requirement is satisfied, it is an additional three semester hours to the thirty semester hours required by A-D above.
- Satisfactory completion of WSC 001 and WSC 002. Students entering Hofstra with full credit for WSC 001 and WSC 002 must, during their first semester at Hofstra, take the Hofstra Writing Proficiency Test. Students who do not pass the test are required to complete WSC 040 and retake and pass the Hofstra Writing Proficiency Test.
- Foreign Language Requirement.
The foreign language requirement may be fulfilled by completion of level 2 of a foreign language.
Students without transfer college credit in the foreign language studied in high school must take the language placement test (administered by the Language Laboratory) to determine placement in the proper level. No student shall receive credit toward graduation for any course below his or her level of placement in that language.
Students with transfer college credit in a foreign language should continue in the next level which follows that in which they have received credit.
International students may satisfy the foreign language requirement either by completing ELP 036 or by placing out of the requirement by taking the placement examination in their native language.
Students must receive a grade of C- or better in all courses applicable to the major. BFA majors must maintain a GPA of 2.5 in all courses applicable to majors.
All students pursuing a BA In The Lawrence Herbert School of Communication must complete a liberal arts-based minor.