Feb 08, 2023
Candidates for graduation with the BFA degree in Writing the Screen from The Lawrence Herbert School of Communication must fulfill the following requirements.
1. Semester Hour Requirement
The successful completion of at least 124 semester hours and a cumulative grade-point average of 2.0 in work completed at Hofstra
2. Liberal Arts Requirement
At least 94 semester hours of the total must be in liberal arts. Beyond this minimum, the student may elect either non-liberal arts courses or additional liberal arts courses.
3. Liberal Arts Minor
All students pursuing a BFA in The Lawrence Herbert School of Communication must complete a liberal arts-based minor of 18 credits.
4. The fulfillment of the following six general requirements for the BFA:
NOTE: Requirements listed below include options whereby a student may apply courses in one discipline toward several different requirements. No student may use any one course to fulfill more than one general requirement. A single course, however, may be used to satisfy both a general degree requirement and a requirement that is specific to a chosen major or minor.
- Nine semester hours of distribution courses in the humanities (see Distribution Courses ). The nine semester hours must include RTVF 10, at least three from the Literature category (LT) and at least three more from either the Appreciation and Analysis (AA) or Creative Participation (CP) categories. No more than three semester hours of Creative Participation (CP) courses may be used to satisfy this requirement.
- Six semester hours of distribution courses in the natural sciences and mathematics/computer science (see Distribution Courses ). At least three semester hours must be chosen from each category.
- Six semester hours of distribution courses in the social sciences (see Distribution Courses ). The six semester hours must include at least three from the Behavioral Sciences category and at least three from the History, Philosophy, Religion category.
- Three semester hours of distribution course credit in the Cross-Cultural category (see Distribution Courses ).
- Satisfactory completion of WSC 001 and WSC 002 . Students entering Hofstra with full credit for WSC 001 and WSC 002 must, during their first semester at Hofstra, take the Hofstra Writing Proficiency Test. Students who do not pass the test are required to complete WSC 040 and retake and pass the Hofstra Writing Proficiency Test.
- Foreign Language Requirement.
Completion of level 2 of a foreign language or placement above level 2. (Note: a student who continues the study of a foreign language begun in high school must take the language placement test (administered by the Language Laboratory) to determine placement in the proper level. No student will receive credit toward graduation for any course below his or her level of placement in the language. For students continuing the same language studied in high school, successful completion of level 2 of that language will satisfy the foreign language requirement. International students may satisfy this requirement either by completing ELP 036 or by placing out of the requirement by taking the placement examination in their native language.)
6. The major requirements as listed under the BFA in Writing for the Screen (listed below).
Students must receive a grade of C- or better in all courses applicable to the major.
Major Requirements – Total Semester Hours: 60
CATEGORY 1: REQUIRED FOUNDATION COURSES – SEMESTER HOURS: 15
CATEGORY 2: WRITING SPECIALIZATION COURSES – SEMESTER HOURS: 15
CATEGORY 3: SCREEN STUDIES REQUIREMENTS – SEMESTER HOURS: 12
CATEGORY 4: SCREEN PRODUCTION REQUIREMENTS – SEMESTER HOURS: 6
CATEGORY 5: ELECTIVES – SEMESTER HOURS: 6
ANY LHSC COURSES (under advisement)
CATEGORY 6: CAPSTONE – SEMESTER HOURS: 6
Students must select:
BFA students are allowed to take as many as 12 credits of Capstone courses but are required to take 6.