Apr 20, 2021
Graduates of the B.S. in computer science program will:
- advance in graduate studies or be successful practitioners in applied or theoretical fields;
- apply communication and organizational skills in the context of ethical issues affecting the discipline or society;
- think critically and creatively to solve local or global problems and become lifelong learners and contributors to society;
- apply knowledge and skills to solve problems effectively and efficiently and to contribute to the technical advancement of computer science.
Candidates for graduation must fulfill the following requirements as well as the general B.S. degree requirements.
1. The Successful Completion of at Least 124 Semester Hours
The successful completion of at least 124 semester hours and a cumulative grade
point average of 2.0 in work completed at Hofstra.
2. Liberal Arts
At least 55 semester hours must be completed in the liberal arts excluding courses
in computer science.
3. Residence Requirements
There are two requirements that must ordinarily be completed in residence at
Hofstra: 15 semester hours in the major field of specialization and the last 30
semester hours. The 15 semester hours need not be included within the last 30
4. English Composition
WSC 1 and 2, or placement examination (see University Degree Requirements). If this requirement is fulfilled by passing the placement examination, the 6 s.h. in the humanities or social sciences should be taken with adviser’s approval.
5. Humanities Distribution
3 semester hours in appreciation and analysis (literature) and SPCM 7 ,
Public Speaking (which satisfies 3 semester hours in creative
6. Social Sciences Distribution
3 hours in history and philosophy and 3 semester hours in behavioral social sciences.
7. Cross-Cultural Distribution
3 semester hours
8. Humanities and/or Social Science
Additional 9 semester hours, not limited to distribution courses.
9. Minimum Requirements in the Major
Includes computer science requirements, mathematics requirements, and natural sciences requirements.
Computer Science Requirements
49 semester hours in computer science (37 of those are in required courses and12 in computer science electives). The required computer science courses are CSC 14, 15, 16, 17, 24, 110, 110A, 112, 120 or 161, 163, 123, 185, and 190. The 12 semester hours in computer science electives must be in courses numbered higher than 100. Freshmen are encouraged to take the first-year seminars, CSC 14F and 14S, when offered.
MATH 71 and 72, and at least one 3-semester-hour course in mathematics beyond MATH 72, excluding MATH 103.
Natural Science Requirements
12 semester hours in natural sciences, to include one two-semester
sequence of science with laboratories (PHYS 11A and 11B and 12A and
12B, or CHEM 3A and 3B and 4A and 4B, or BIO 11 and 12). To
fulfill the 12 semester hours science requirement, the student may need
to take one or two more science courses depending on which science
sequence he or she chooses (PHYS, CHEM or BIO). All science
courses must be for science majors.
10. A Grade of C- or Better
A grade of C- or better in all courses required for the major.
11. An Overall Average of C or Better
An overall average of C or better in required in CSC 14, 15, 16, and 24
for continuation in the major. In addition, a student may not
take any of these four courses more than twice.
* If this requirement is fulfilled by passing the placement examination, 6 semester
hours in the humanities or social sciences should be taken with adviser’s approval.