Apr 19, 2024  
2010-2011 Undergraduate Bulletin 
2010-2011 Undergraduate Bulletin [ARCHIVED BULLETIN]

Political Science, B.A. Major in

Program Requirements

A B.A. major in political science consists of a minimum of 27 semester hours in political science including PSC 1, 2, 135 and 142 or 143. In addition, 18 semester hours distributed among at least four of the following departments: anthropology, economics (ECO 1 or 7 required), geography, history, philosophy, psychology, religion and sociology. Honors College courses HUHC 11 and 12 may also be used to satisfy this requirement.

All majors are required to take a comprehensive examination administered by the department in the senior year.

The Political Science Department strongly recommends the following progression for specialization in political science:

I. Introductory

III. Advanced

A minimum of 15 semester hours selected from one or more of the following four areas:


Reading courses PSC 161, 162 can relate to any of the above fields depending upon the focus desired.

Note About Courses:

For both majors and non-majors, it is strongly recommended that, before taking advanced courses in American Government and Politics (PSC 105, 111, 114, 115, 120, 121, 122, 126, 127, 128, 129, 147), PSC 1 be taken first. Only students who have a clear understanding of the workings of the American system of government should consider taking advanced courses in American Government and Politics without first taking the introductory course.

See Also: Complete B.A. Requirements

B.A. requirements in HCLAS.

Washington Semester Program

The department supervises a select number of students with at least a junior standing and nine hours of credit in political science in an intern program for a full semester in Washington. Sixteen semester hours of credit are normally granted for satisfactory completion of the internship.

Local Internships

On a limited basis students may work in state or local government offices under the joint supervision of the Department of Political Science and the government unit on projects leading to academic credit.

Teaching of high school social studies:

see Social Studies Education, B.A. in  in the School of Education, Health and Human Services.