Oct 20, 2018
Program Requirements - Total Semester Hours: 124
Candidates for graduation must fulfill the following requirements:
1. The Successful Completion of at Least 124 Semester Hours
The successful completion of at least 124 semester hours and a cumulative grade
point average of 2.0 in work completed at Hofstra.
2. Liberal Arts
At least 65 semester hours must be completed in the liberal arts, excluding courses
3. Residence Requirements
Two requirements must be completed in residence at Hofstra: 15 semester hours in the major field of specialization and the last 30 semester hours. The 15 semester hours need not be included within the last 30 hours.
4. General Requirements
- Humanities electives - Semester Hours: 6
- Social science electives - Semester Hours: 6
(The humanities and social science electives must be satisfied with approved distribution courses, see Distribution Courses program.)
- Foreign language: fulfillment of one of the following options:
- Complete 2 semesters of a language not previously studied;
- A student who continues the study of a foreign language begun before coming to Hofstra must take the language placement test (administered by the Language Laboratory) and fulfill one of the options listed below:
- Place above level 4 of that language;
- Complete level 4 of that language;
- Complete 2 semesters of that language.
Credit will not be given toward completion of the language requirement or toward graduation for any language course taken below the level of placement in that language.
5. Natural Science Requirements
a) Geology - Semester Hours: 30
30 semester hours in geology, including
b) Chemistry and Physics Requirements
c) Mathematics - Semester Hours: 6
Two semesters (minimum of six semester hours) of mathematics, including one semester of calculus (MATH 61, 61A, 71, 72, or 73) and one course chosen under advisement. Math courses that will not fulfill this requirement are MATH 3A, 3B, 4A, 4B, 30A, 30B, 40 and 45. Students without high school calculus should consider taking MATH 50 (Precalculus) and MATH 61, 61A, or 71 (Calculus). Students are strongly advised to take a course in statistics such as MATH 8, MATH 137, or BIO 100 (may be used to satisfy MATH requirement or BIO requirement, but not both).
d) Choose One Option From - Semester Hours: 6
- 6 semester hours in computer science, or
- 6 semester hours in biology, or
- 3 semester hours in computer science and 3 semester hours in biology.