Dec 09, 2022
Qualified undergraduate psychology majors may elect to enroll in this dual-degree five-year program, combining their BA in psychology with an MSEd in rehabilitation counseling. This 157 semester hours, includes at least 106 s.h. at the undergraduate level and 51 s.h. in graduate level rehabilitation counseling courses. Students who are admitted to the MSEd in counseling portion of the dual-degree program may double-count 18 s.h. of graduate course work toward both their bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
Direct admission to the dual-degree program (BA and MSEd)
Students entering Hofstra as incoming freshmen may apply for direct admission to the dual-degree program. For those who choose to submit a standardized test score, a 1240 or better on the critical reading and mathematics sections of the SAT (or an ACT score of 25) is recommended. Applicants must have an overall high school GPA of 3.5 (or be in the top 15 percent of their high school graduating class) in order to be considered for admission. Students admitted directly to the dual-degree program as incoming first-year students will be admitted automatically to the MSEd in Rehabilitation Counseling program as students in advanced standing during their senior year, provided that they meet the minimum requirements noted below.
- Achieve an overall GPA of 3.0 and a GPA of 3.0 in Psychology courses at the time of entry into the MSEd program, or upon completion of 90 semester hours of course work toward their BA degree;
- Four letters of reference;
- Personal essay outlining professional goals and objectives;
- Professional resume highlighting any experience (work or voluntary) with the disability population;
- Interview with the graduate program director; and
- Fulfillment of all the undergraduate degree requirements with the exception of the semester hour and major requirements.
Admission to the dual-degree program for current Hofstra students
Applicants must have an overall GPA of 3.0 and a GPA of 3.0 in psychology courses in order to be considered for admission. To maintain eligibility for graduate school matriculation at the end of the junior year, students admitted to this program must complete the following requirements:
- A minimum of 97 s.h. of undergraduate courses (at least 96 s.h. in liberal arts courses with an overall GPA of 3.0, including a minimum of 12 s.h. in liberal arts electives outside the Department of Psychology );
- All University requirements, including WSC 001 and 002 ;
- All requirements for the BA , including distribution and language requirements; and
- All requirements for the Psychology major as specified below, with a Psychology GPA of 3.0.
Undergraduate students must apply and be accepted into the MSEd in rehabilitation counseling program before being allowed to take graduate courses as part of their undergraduate program. Students should apply to the graduate program. Students expecting to begin their studies in September should apply by March 1 of that year.
BA in Psychology Degree Requirements
Students admitted to this dual degree program will receive a BA in psychology upon completion of the following requirements:
- All BA requirements described in the Hofstra College of Liberal Arts and Sciences section of the online Bulletin. In particular: Successful completion of a total of 124 s.h., including 106 s.h. of undergraduate course work (105 s.h. must be in liberal arts courses, including 21 s.h. in liberal arts electives outside the Department of Psychology ) and 18 s.h. of MSEd in rehabilitation counseling graduate course work;
- The specific major requirements described in the BA major in psychology section of this Bulletin.
MSEd in Rehabilitation Counseling Degree Requirements
Students admitted to the graduate portion of the dual degree program will receive a MSEd in rehabilitation counseling upon successful completion of the following requirements:
- Completion of 36 s.h. of Rehabilitation Counseling course work;
- Completion of 3 s.h. of Practicum;
- Completion of 12 s.h. of Internship;
- Completion of a Comprehensive Portfolio