Mar 28, 2023
Associate Professor Schwartz, Director
The undergraduate program in health science provides an excellent foundation for students seeking to prepare for graduate study in a broad range of clinical health-care professions including medicine, dentistry, veterinary sciences, nursing, nutrition, physical therapy and physician assistant studies.
The program integrates three components providing students with:
- A comprehensive health core grounded in the concept of wellness, health promotion, and disease prevention;
- a science core designed to meet all prerequisite course requirements for application to medical school and other clinical study programs; and
- an underlying liberal arts core that encourages critical thinking and facilitates overall personal growth and development.
An integral part of the program is the clinical internship which enables students to apply the knowledge and skills learned in the classroom to practical real-life experiences. Sites are chosen in consultation with the student’s adviser from a list of approved sites to ensure a challenging and rewarding experience.
Matriculation and Continuation Standards
Requirements for acceptance into the health science major program include: meeting Hofstra University’s general admission standards and an interview with the program director for advisement and scheduling.
All health science majors must meet the following criteria to continue in the program:
- A cumulative grade point average of 2.75 or better in the following categories:
a) All course work completed at Hofstra University; and
b) All required health science major course work.
- Recommendation of the major adviser.
- Recommendation of the Health Science Program Director.
Final admission to the program is made by the chairperson of the Health Professions and Kinesiology upon recommendation of the department faculty.
Degree Requirements - Semester Hours: 128 Minimum
- The successful completion of at least 128 semester hours and a cumulative grade point average of 2.75 in work completed at Hofstra.
- At least 64 semester hours must be in liberal arts.
- There are two requirements that must ordinarily be completed in residence at Hofstra: 15 semester hours in the major, including a field experience (or its equivalent) and the last 30 hours. The 15 hours need not be included with the last 30 hours.
1) Major Core Requirements - Semester Hours: 18
2) Major Field Requirements - Semester Hours: 18
3) Major Core Electives: Semester Hours - 9 Minimum
A minimum of 9 s.h. selected under advisement:
4) Field Experience Requirements - Semester Hours: 6
Selected under advisement during the senior year:
Students who can demonstrate employment or other field experience in a health setting may substitute six semester hours of electives, selected under advisement only.
5) Health Science Requirement - Semester Hours: 36-42
6) Liberal Arts Core Courses - Semester Hours: 24-26
English – Semester Hours: 6-7
Humanities - Semester Hours: 3
One of the following:
Basic Statistics - Semester Hours: 3-4
Psychology - Semester Hours: 6-7
Social Sciences – Semester Hours: 6
7) Liberal Arts/Free Electives - Semester Hours: 9-17
Liberal arts/free electives to be chosen under advisement. (Total liberal arts credits must be at least 64 s.h. after which remaining electives may be taken as free electives)