Feb 26, 2024
Students should apply to the department as soon as possible after making the decision to major in urban ecology. The department encourages interested students to speak with an urban ecology adviser about this major before declaring a major. Advisers are assigned when the student applies for acceptance as a major. Grades in biology courses lower than a C- do not count toward the total number of semester hours required for the biology specialization.
Candidates for graduation must successfully complete the following requirements:
1. Total Semester Hours: at least 124
The successful completion of at least 124 semester hours and a cumulative grade point average of 3.2 in work completed at Hofstra. Military Science 1C, 1E, 2C, 2E and associated leadership laboratories may not be counted toward this total semester-hour requirement.
2. Liberal Arts
At least 59 semester hours must be completed in liberal arts courses outside the Biology Department.
3. Residency Requirement
There are two requirements that must ordinarily be completed in residence at Hofstra: 20 semester hours in the major and the last 30 semester hours. The 20 semester hours need not be included within the last 30 hours.
4. General Requirements
- WSC 001 and WSC 002 or placement examination (see “University Degree Requirements”);
- Distribution Course Requirement (for listing of distribution courses, see Distribution Courses);
- 6 semester hours in humanities: 3 hours from Literature (LT) or Appreciation and Analysis (AA), and 3 hours from Creative Participation (CP);
- 6 semester hours in social science: 3 semester hours in behavioral social sciences and 3 hours in history and philosophy.
- NOTE: Students who matriculate at Hofstra with advanced standing must complete at least 3 semester hours in humanities distribution courses and 3 semester hours in social science distribution courses in residence. In no case may distribution course requirements be taken elsewhere after matriculation at Hofstra.
5. Cumulative Grade Point Average
After completion of the freshman year and each subsequent semester, all B.S. program majors must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or better and a grade point average of 3.0 or better in all urban ecology courses to remain in the B.S. program. If a student does not maintain the proper cumulative grade point average, he/she will be placed on a one-semester probation. If at the end of the probationary semester, his/her grade point average does not meet the requirement, the student’s major will be changed from the B.S. major in urban ecology to the B.A. major in urban ecology. Students should be aware that this change in major will change urban ecology and distribution course requirements for graduation.
6. The fulfillment of the following major and additional requirements:
The following are also required:
See also: Complete B.S. Requirements
Complete B.S. Requirements in Hofstra College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.